I’ve arrived at The School of Management in Swansea University to launch a module called Personal Skills and Development for Business with 400 first year students and 8 members of staff. I absolutely love the office I’ve been allocated – isn’t the view amazing?
This morning was spent with the teaching team finalising the look and feel of the module.This module aims to help students develop key skills which will be of a practical benefit to them as they integrate into the professional workplace and work to become Business graduates. Specifically the module is designed to teach students how to engage with potential employers, colleagues and the wider business community. Communicating effectively and playing a positive role within a team will therefore be core themes throughout the module. On completion of this module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the level of professional communication required (verbal, nonverbal and written) within a working environment
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of the various skills required to be able to work effectively in a business environment
- Apply the knowledge learnt and develop research skills to be effective in multiple business environments
- Organise effective meetings, formulate milestones and demonstrate a systematic understanding of how effective meetings should be structured and run
- Develop and apply effective team-work skills
- Diagnose and work to resolve conflict and challenges within a working environment
- Reflect and analyse experiences and use these to enhance their career prospects and personal growth
- Identify, research, reference and apply the skills required to apply for jobs in an ever-competitive environment
I’m here for the week as The Learning and Development Manager for SimVenture Evolution coaching and training staff and students to get the best out of the simulation. We’re using the simulator to enhance students awareness of business and management and also to enable students to develop students employability skills. So, we’re measuring their employability skills at the beginning of the simulation and at the end so that students can see how they have developed the skills and capabilities. Using SimVenture Evolution is a great way to teach students about business because it’s a hands on experience of running a virtual business. They can make mistakes and learn from them in a safe environment and then transfer their skills into their graduate jobs. It’s also great fun.
Lesley Strachan (MBA) is an Award-winning coach| consultant| speaker| trainer and adviser and is based in Hampshire, UK. She is also a Certified Jack Canfield Trainer in The Success Principles and uses her creativity and experience to inspire others through teaching, mentoring and coaching all over the world and has loads of fun doing it. Lesley has over 30 years of experience working in the corporate and education sectors as well as years of experience as an Entrepreneur. Her areas of expertise include: personal life coaching, communication training, leadership training, corporate training, health and wellness, and educational consultancy. Lesley is also a mentor for young people for EBP and an Enterprise Adviser for The Careers and Enterprise Company
Lesley’s latest book is due out in May 2018 called “The Ultimate Guide for Parents: How to help your kids become self-confident, happy and passionate.” Pre-Order Lesley’s Book and watch a mini webinar which explains what the book is about.
Lesley Strachan Consulting and Training
“Getting you from where you are to where you want to be”
Award winning Coach| Consultant| Speaker| Trainer| Adviser
Tel: 0044 (0)7739 172447|Email: email@example.com